Friday, May 7, 2010

From Jackie Nolley, USA

Translation from Spanish (below) by Maureen Mason & Eugenia Bermudez

Dear all,

W greetings to all of you. My name is Jackie Nolley and I work with JASS from the Washington office. I want to express my appreciation for having received the remembrances of Rhonda Copelon that several of you shared over this list yesterday and today. I did not have the good fortune to meet Prof. Copelon, and although I am ashamed to admit it, I did know her name but without having the slightest idea of her achievements during her career: I did not know she had litigated Roe vs.Wade; nor that she was key to the resurrection of the "Alien Tort Claims Act" here in the U.S. to obtain justice in the Chilean case that was mentioned; nor that she had played an indispensable role in constructing the argument against the deliberate misuse of the law human rights to justify the denial of reproductive rights. So I would like to thank all of you because not only have you given beautiful virtual tributes to Prof. Copelon, you have also educated me, a lot.

To those who lost a friend, colleague and sister in the struggle, I sincerely express my condolences.

Muy estimadas todas,

un saludo muy cordial para todas ustedes. Mi nombre es Jackie Nolley, y laboro en JASS desde su oficina en Washington. Quisiera expresarles mi agradecimiento por haber recibido los recuerdos de Rhonda Copelon que varias de ustedes han compartido a través de esta lista ayer y hoy. Yo no tuve la buena fortuna de conocer a la Prof. Copelon, y aunque me da vergüenza reconocerlo, yo sí conocía su nombre pero sin tener la más mínima idea de los logros que ella realizo durante su carrera: yo no sabia que había litigado Roe vs. Wade, ni que fue clave en la resurrección del “Alien Tort Claims Act” aquí en los EEUU para obtener justicia en el caso chileno que se mencionó, ni que había jugado un papel imprescindible en construir el argumento en contra del mal uso del derecho intencional de los derechos humanos para justificar la denegación de los derechos reproductivos. Así que quisiera agradecer a todas ustedes porque además de haber rendido lindos homenajes virtuales a la Prof. Copelon ustedes me han educado, y bastante.

A las que perdieron una amiga, colega y hermana en la lucha, les expreso muy sinceramente mis condolencias.