Friday, May 7, 2010

From Alda Facio

Translation from Spanish (below) by Maureen Mason & Eugenia Bermudez

Thanks Maria for letting us know, even though the news is so sad. I should tell you that ever since I left Costa Rica at 7 yesterday morning I had Rhondita's image in my mind, and all through the flight I was thinking about how brilliant she was, and all she did for women. I said to myself that as soon as I got back to Costa Rica I was going to call to see how she was doing, because I hadn't talked to her since October of last year. And now it's too late.

I do not know whether everyone knows that she was the one who argued the Roe v. Wade case, which decriminalized abortion in America. I had the honor and good fortune to work with her to create the Women's Caucus for Gender Justice, which succeeded in getting a gender perspective included in many aspects of the International Criminal Court. But she also has many, many other accomplishments that I imagine Maria will recount in the virtual memorial. Rhonda was one of the most brilliant lawyers and committed feminists I have ever known. Even more, she was a wonderful friend. I love her very much.

Gracias Maria por avisarnos aunque sea una noticia tan triste. Vieras que desde que sali de costa rica ayer a las 7 de la manana se me vino la imagen de Rhondita y en todo el vuelo estuve pensando en ella y lo brillante que era y todo lo que hizo por las mujeres. Me dije que apenas regresara a costa rica la iba a llamar para ver como estaba porque desde octubre del anho pasado no le hablaba. Ahora es demasiado tarde.

Yo no se si todas saben que ella fue quien argumento el caso de roe vs wade que fue el que despenalizo el aborto en estados unidos. Yo tuve el honor y la suerte de juntas crear el caucus de las mujeres por una justicia de genero que fue el caucus que logro que se incluyera la perspectiva de genero en muchos aspectos de la corte penal internacional. pero ella ademas tiene tantos y tantos otros logros que imagino maria los enumerara en el memorial virtual. Rhonda fue una de las abogadas feministas mas brillantes y comprometidas que yo haya conocido. Ademas fue una amiga maravillosa. la quiero mucho.